Tying up loose ends
Thanks for your sweet comments about my remaining five weeks of dread MCAT preparation. I’ll let you know how it goes! Until then, there will be little in the way of knitting, sadly.
We celebrated my grandfather’s 90th birthday in Cincinnati last weekend and rather than take the increasingly heavy aran sweater in progress, I decided to finally finish the Drunken Bee socks that Stella started for me so many months ago. No wonder we travel with socks – they’re so portable! I finished the second sock on the way there!
Pattern: Drunken Bees
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock in “Pondscum”
Needles: US 1.5 and 2
While this was a relatively clear pattern, I must say that I loathed knitting the honeycombs. I could not keep track of the twisted stitch rows. I think this is the most intricate pair of socks I’ve ever knit (by “intricate” I mean, of course, there was no ‘knit every other row’ business). Since socks are usually my mindless projects, it took me a while to devote the time to finishing these.
The beautiful pattern/yarn combination was what kept me going through all that honeycombing! I had never used STR before and now I understand the hype! It’s just marvelous to knit! We’ll see how it holds up to regular wear!
Next up is some baby sewing I’ve been promising for too long. This is one last version of the Butterick B4712 pattern. I say last because I hate working with this pattern. The layouts don’t work at all with one-way prints, the armholes are too shallow in every size and the interfacing does not fit inside the dress in any of the sizes. After the first few versions of this, I just traced out my own interfacing.
Pattern: Butterick B4712
Overall, I’m pleased with the result but I most certainly would not recommend the pattern to anyone. Baby tank dress patterns are so easy to find – you should look for a better one than this!